Thursday, November 4, 2010

No Holding Back

Ok- so our blogs were apparently not harsh enough.
So this is going to be harsh.
Prepare yourself for a rant.

First and foremost- we need to take ourselves seriously. Honestly- when we give up trying to change the perspective of non affiliated buckeyes, we lose. It's an uphill battle... but if we don't work to change how people look at us, we've lost. We're done. We'll keep getting the same types of people and our community won't grow. When we run around high street, drunk, yelling our organizations names or songs we're only proving everyone else right.

Next- we need to start acting with character. Drinking every night of the week, skipping classes, talking badly about other people (both affiliated and nonaffiliated- the word GDI makes me want to vomit), stealing composites, breaking into houses, using both men and women for a "hook up", skipping mandatory events, or even worse: showing up to mandatory events drunk: all completely derogatory to your chapter AND the community as a whole.

How about wearing your letters while drinking? having your letters VISIBLE in pictures of people drinking? Having your letters on a beer pong table? Wearing someone else's letters to drink or to a TG?

Now don't get me wrong- I love having a good time and really enjoy the SOCIAL aspect of my SOCIAL fraternity... but there's a difference between a good time and perpetuating stereotypes or being incongruent with our values. Do you need to get black out drunk on a Tuesday? Do you need to "hook up" with three different people every week? Do you need to try to steal things from other people? Do you need to use derogatory language towards other affiliated or nonaffiliated people?

We're making connections. Sure- other college kids are doing it. WE AREN'T SUPPOSED TO BE LIKE OTHER COLLEGE KIDS. we're supposed to be men and women of VALUES and CHARACTER and LEADERSHIP


Yet we continue to make connections between the stereotypes and the reality.

We are not a community of alcohol obsessed, dramatic, unintelligent, undirected, or morally debased peoples. 
We need to be seen as (and act in accordance to the view of) a community that values diversity, service, values, scholarship, brotherhood and sisterhood, leadership, and ambition.  


So start acting like it.

5 comments:

  1. I really like this blog Stephen! I think you hit the nail right on the head with this one. I like that you always get into your blogs. I can tell that you are putting a lot of time and effort into them and being truly honest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i second what Eli said and it is great you're able to be critical of the community without losing faith in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like how honest you were! And to tag along with Eli and Emily I definitely think you mentioned almost every aspect we need to work on as a community.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for being so blunt! all of this is so true. we try to act like everyone else judges and stereotypes us, but we can't get pissed when we give them reasons to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldnt agree more with all the other comments. Good Job Stephen! I really appreicate the honesty. Most of the time it is better to just get it out then to just hold it in all the time.

    ReplyDelete