After reading a few blogs I realized I missed an extremely important part of the prompt.
We strive to be balanced men... so how's Ohio Gamma doing?
I'd say pretty well.
We strive for excellence:
-in our social lives
-in our academic lives, maintaining the highest cum GPA on campus
-in our campus involvement (I've heard people joke that they meet a SigEp everywhere they go)
-in our greek involvement
-in our involvement with our national fraternity
-in intramural and athletic events
-in our diversity, having brothers of different races, religions, and sexual orientations.
And for all of these things- I'm incredibly proud.
We had a 3 hour chapter last night... yeah... 3 hours... why? We were approving by-laws to help better the chapter and to account for some of the quarter-semester transition... and to elect a temporary standards board member while a brother takes an internship in NYC winter quarter. We took both of these long and tedious processes very seriously, and never rushed discussion or rushed to voting... things were questioned and examined and no one really cared how long it took because we knew it was important for our chapter.
BUT all of this being said... we still have our weaknesses like every chapter.
We definitely need to work on putting a priority on SigEp. Being so balanced, sometimes SigEp is not always a priority... sometimes brothers will chose not to go to chapter because of schoolwork or working with another organization, and I feel that SigEp should be the glue that holds the involvement together: The aspect of a brother's life that helps to PROVIDE that balance. Last night, at the end of the three hours... we probably only had 30-40% attendance... many brothers had left or just didn't show up. Here's the paradox: they're maintaining virtue and diligence by working to succeed academically or within their organization... but they're lacking the brotherly love: the ability to take time to make time for your brothers.
In addition, we need to focus a little more on philanthropy... I feel that this is a MAJOR weakness of our chapters. Sure, we all like service... but not as a unified SigEp- we put priority on service OUTSIDE of SigEp... and I feel that if we put more energy to our own philanthropy events... they'd be so much more productive and better received and we'd be able to add that additional aspect to our balancing act.
Speaking of Service
(insert plug for upcoming philanthropy event):
CHECK THIS OUT THIS SUNDAY:
I'm proud of my organization and think that if we can get brothers more invested in our chapter, innovation and involvement will increase exponentially.

i love this and can't wait for sunday!
ReplyDeletestephen, i never knew SigEp had the highest cum gpa on campus! That is awesome, congrats to you guys! I love that your chapter has diversity all across the board. I wish I could say the same about my chapter, we are a little lacking in the diversity department but we are working to increase it. I really appreciate it that you guys had a 3 hour chapter and no one complained because they knew it was important. In Pi Phi, if our chapter goes longer than on hour people get very antsy and impatient, and sometimes stop paying attention.
ReplyDeletethanks for sharing!
Chelsea