Well... since the bomb threat seems to be going on... I'll take this time that I'm locked in my room to write my blog.
You may be surprised that I haven't written it sooner- normally I get really inspired by the prompts and write really long diatribes about visions to improve the Greek community.
Well, to be honest... the prompt: "oath" hasn't really inspired me.... I guess it's because "oath" is something that's not really something that can be changed.... oath is something that doesn't cause issues.... now if you break that oath you'll create issues... but that has more to do with values congruence which I've discussed plenty.
SO what IS an oath?
Dictionary.com:
a solemn appeal to a deity, or to some revered person orthing, to witness one's determination to speak the truth, tokeep a promise, etc.: to testify upon oath.
I'd probably define it closely to that: a promise to a higher power to live or act a certain way.
SO why take an oath? Again- being in a fraternity is a way of life... reinforced by this oath you are promising to a higher power to live your life a certain way.
I wanted to post a youtube video to spice up the blog but only found one that'd be remotely appropriate but it's 8 minutes long and has a lot of "preaching":
It's a man talking about the "curse" of a fraternity... he says that by taking an oath towards God to join an organization is sinful... it was interesting.... but.... I didn't agree with it and didn't want to put it up- if you're interested you can search "oath fraternity" on youtube and check it out for yourself.... it's a really interesting look at how oaths really do address a higher power and how that's a really BIG deal. I just feel that it's a positive big deal rather than rebelling against the higher power big deal.
Next week's blog will be more lively again- I promise.
No comments:
Post a Comment