Let's talk about values.
I'm an idealist... for sure... if you haven't picked that up from any of my other blogs... I see the world from a very utopian "should be" way. It causes a lot of frustration with the imperfection (that every human being is allowed to have) of our society.
I think my stance on values is best portrayed in a speech I wrote my senior year in high school... I delivered the challenge to the underclassman at our distinguished scholars brunch... a lot of lost values amongst my peers had me frustrated so this speech resulted... I still feel very similar and have found that my values have changed very little since then.
I've done some editing to get rid of the irrelevancies and please excuse the dated references:
"I was honored enough to be invited to this breakfast all four years and this speech was always my favorite part. I really admired the upper classmen who spoke. You can understand how intimidating it is to try to live up to those who have gone before me. I am walking in the footsteps of giants....What do we have in common? How can I live up to these impressive people? Then I realized what he have in common- the thread that connected us all. That is our integrity, reliability, and responsibility.
These character traits combine and work together. Reliability is consistently doing what you say you’ll do while integrity is consistently being what you say you are. As academic leaders, you have the responsibility to be truthful to who you are and to accept and complete new challenges. Michael Korda, editor-in-chief of Simon and Schuster explains that “success on any major scale requires you to accept responsibility in the final analysis. The one quality that all successful people have is the ability to take on responsibility.” In order to stand out, you must accept the responsibility to be accountable and to be truthful to what you know is right.
Reliability, integrity, and responsibility: Without these traits, history would have been drastically different. In order to be a mover and shaker, you must display all three working simultaneously together to form your strong character. What if Paul Revere decided to wait before his midnight ride to warn the settlers of the nearing British fleet? Paul Revere acted as he said he would. Paul Revere displayed reliability. What if John F. Kennedy, who believed in American excellence, never challenged us to go to the moon? John F. Kennedy displayed integrity. What if Captain “Sully” Sullenburger of American Airlines flight 1549, which recently safely landed in the Hudson River without any casualties, had panicked and decided to give up hope? Captain Sully had a responsibility to the safety of his passengers. These traits clearly delineate the ordinary and the extraordinary.
You all have been told to “reach for the moon because if you miss you still land among the stars.” That HAD to have been on a poster sometime during your educational career. Teachers always seem to like that one. Sure- goals are great- but what’s the point of setting a goal if you aren’t going to achieve it? Once you set a goal you have the responsibility to overcome any obstacle to ensure that you see your goal fulfilled. This comes back to reliability. It isn’t easy and it may require hard work but there is joy in the journey....
My challenge to you is not only set your high goals but work hard to ensure that your goals become a reality. Find out who you are and what you stand for and stay consistent (that’s the integrity part). Once you start acting, see everything through to completion (that’s the reliability and responsibility part)...."
Sure, values are important... but more important is ACCOUNTABILITY. Like I mentioned: I get frustrated when people make human mistakes that cause them to stray from values... but again... I'm not free of guilt either.
Recently: One of my brothers called me out for straying from my values, at first, I was a little insulted that I was questioned... then realized he was TOTALLY right. Had he not said anything, I would have continued being a hypocrite and straying from my values- I needed to make a change in my life and with his help- I can become a better person.
It's important that you surround yourself with people like my brother: people that will hold you accountable to the beliefs that drive your life.
I love that you brought up accountability. That is so huge, and really what are values if you don't hold yourself (and others) accountable to them. I also liked your speech! Thanks for lunch =)
ReplyDelete