Let's be honest- there are two ways to answer "who are you": thoughtless droning about your station in life or meaningful discussion. My experience has told me that when people say "tell me about yourself" or "who are you?" they're looking for a long and thoughtless list of adjectives (maybe even some fun facts that people forget instantly after you share them), not true insight to your inner being.
So here's my thoughtless list of adjectives for those of you that get satisfaction from that sort of thing:
I'm a son, a brother, a student at OSU, a bio major (pre-dentistry). I work at a summer camp. I'm involved in Sigma Phi Epsilon, Relay for Life Committee, Buckeye Leadership League (which I helped to form after the disestablishment of Leadership Ohio State), and began involvement with USG this year. I identify as a reform jew, straight male, able bodied, democrat. I enjoy reading, watching movies, listening to music, attending theater, having passionate discussion, and meeting new people. Some fun facts: I no longer have a gall bladder, I'm a fourth generation buckeye (my great-grandparents met in Columbus, my grandparents met on campus, and my parents met on campus).
![]() |
| My little sister Amy and I |
![]() |
| My family before a game: (l-r) My dad (Larry) Optometry School Alum, me, my sister (Jr. in high school), and my mom (Mary Ellen) Optometry School Alum |
![]() |
| My Bubbie and I |
![]() |
| After Graduation: (l-r) Dad, Mom, Grandpa, me, Grandma, sister, Aunt Barb, Uncle Tom |
Now if you'd like further insight into who I really am:
Family is extremely important to me. My grandparents are the largest influence in my life and inspire me and challenge me. Most of my personal beliefs come directly from them. My mother and I are very close. I share just about everything with her: sometimes, arguably, too much. I'm going into dentistry because I enjoy science and want to make a comfortable living (the expression "money doesn't buy happiness" is B.S.). My job at camp is one of the most rewarding jobs ever. I joined my fraternity because I've never really had "guy friends" growing up: most guys I grew up with didn't appreciate my morals, goals, and dedication. I was also the "nerd" and involved in theater rather than sports. Becoming a brother has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. I went from having no male friends to having 113 upstanding men who I'm glad to call "brother". Being "different" as a jew in a relatively large town consisting of only 2 jewish families (including my own) was one of the most difficult and challenging experiences of my life. I feel that a lot of my strength comes from these experiences and despite from it being a terrible time in my life: I grew a lot and wouldn't change the negative experiences for the world. I'm pessimistic and worry a lot, especially about the future and the direction of my life. I'm organized and extremely particular about a lot of things but I'm working on it.
It probably would have been easier to just stop at the adjectives.
But let's be honest.
A list means nothing.




You know buddy, I actually learned a lot from this! I'm glad you put so much of your 'real self' into it. Sometimes calling someone a brother means nothing but living as brothers can be mean the world. See you soon.
ReplyDeleteAww Stephen, That was a wonderful blog post. I cannot wait to read more from you as you chronicle your journey and learning through the leadership course. You sir, are a phenomenal young man.
ReplyDelete-Kristen Rupert
In some aspects, we are very different. I am a first generation buckeye student, in a different fraternity, and am interested in everything, such as sports, theatre, and history. But all of those differences aside, we are both buckeyes and both apart of the greek community at the Ohio State University. With that being said, I think that it is the love of being a buckeye that really binds all of us in the greek community together. We all love our school and the spirit that goes along with being a student at Ohio State. I am looking forward to this class this quarter and the interesting discussions I am sure our class will have!
ReplyDeleteStephen,
ReplyDeleteYou're a great writer! I'm looking forward to following you and the rest of your EDL class. Keep up the great work1
~ Ryan